Thursday, August 11, 2011

How it all began....

I've been wanting to start a blog for a while now, but just haven't had the time.  Daniel can now entertain himself for a few minutes at a time, which gives me a few minutes to sit and write.  

My dad passed away on October 2, 2001.  Every year we do something in his honor as a family. This year, my sister was unavailable on the actual day, so we had gotten together the weekend before.  We went to Delicious Orchards (which is by my dad's grave and where he lived) and I ate crumb buns like whoa.  I was on a crumb bun kick (literally had to taste one from every bakery in town, including the famous Carlo's) and would soon find out why!  

I didn't want to just sit in the house and be depressed on my dad's anniversary, so I asked Traci and Brenda if they wanted to go "away".  We decided to go to Amish Country and then we'd hit the Crayola factory on the way home.  We got to Amish Country so late, everything was closing.  We spent about 20 minutes there.  It was entertaining though to see how they live and I asked Traci a million questions!  We had dinner and headed to the hotel.  I was SOOOO tired, I passed out in about 1/2 a second.  All night I was having weird cramping and figured it was just a normal monthly thing.  

The DAY I found out I was pregnant:
(Left two are positives. Right a negative)

The next morning, Traci and I woke up at the ass crack of dawn as usual and Brenda was still sleeping.  Traci and I decided to go out so that we wouldn't wake Brenda up.  I still wasn't feeling good, so Traci was taking me to CVS to get Midol.  Once I told her I hadn't gotten my period, she insisted that I take a pregnancy test.  I was SURE I wasn't pregnant, so I humored her and bought one (instead of the Midol).  Next stop McDonalds for breakfast.  We took the pregnancy test into the bathroom at McDonalds (yes this really happened) and I did my thing.  Two lines.... I thought NO EFFIN WAY.. but yes there were two lines.  Traci kept saying "ahhh don't worry. Look how light the line is. Those things aren't accurate anyway!"  I then ordered half the menu at McDonalds and sat there thinking (out loud) "Is this for real.. am I dreaming? Is this really happening? What am I gonna do?!" etc etc.  Don't get me wrong, I've wanted a baby for a really long time, but I JUST found out I was pregnant in a MCDONALD'S bathroom. 

I didn't believe it.  I wanted to be sure that the CVS brand pregnancy test wasn't defective.  Next stop: Target.  I purchased a more "reputable" brand pregnancy test and took it in the Target bathroom.  Another positive.  Traci was still convinced that these tests weren't accurate and I was "fine".  It was now time to tell someone.  I didn't know who to tell first.  I got in the car (in the Target parking lot) (BTW we were in the middle of God only knows where Pennsylvania.  I'd probably never be able to get us back there) and called my mom.  She was so excited.  I thought to myself "How the hell can she be so excited? I just found out I was pregnant in a McDonald's bathroom and confirmed it in a Target bathroom."  

This can't be happening...
I still didn't believe it, so we went back to the original CVS and bought 3 more pregnancy tests for an experiment.  We went back to the hotel and explained to Brenda what was going on.  Each of us then peed in a cup and took a pregnancy test.  Traci and Brenda's tests were clearly negative.  Mine was clearly positive.  

So that's that.  That is how it all began.. and just got crazier by the day.  I'm not sure that I will ever tell Daniel that story, but it's a funny one for everyone else. 

3 comments:

  1. To be fair, I didn't know that any line is POSITIVE. Now we know.

    Also, please clarify that your mom was so excited and shouting, that I could hear her in the passenger seat, haha.

    Love this post, I literally LOL'd as if I read the story for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a few minutes to even know what you were talking about as far as two lines but now I see it. I guess you are now educating others. !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys yelling at me to get off the phone and pee in a plastic hotel cup was definitely one of the stranger starts to my day! It all worked out in the end, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete